Wherever they go, kids will find ways to play because it’s always the high point of their day! So it’s not surprising at all when most parents are apprehensive in bringing with them their kids while travelling. Arriving in the destinations can bring fun, but the actual part of trying to get there could take hours and can bore the kids. It’s a good thing then that in our current tech-savvy world, there are plenty of gadgets to ease out the boredom of their playful minds. However, for those who want their kids to travel so they can temporarily avoid technology, why not try a portable outdoor kids’ furniture and toys like a pop-up tent or baby play pen? There are even DIY cubby houses that you can bring along!
Read on to know more about these innovative but not techie solutions to pacify your children’s thirst for playtime while travelling around Australia. Plus, learn other important techniques on making any travel with the kids a truly enjoyable and memorable experience, one that the whole family can treasure forever.
Useful Tips When Travelling With Kids
Preparing for the Trip is Important
It is important to plan the elements of the trip. A good way to hype up the kids’ excitement is to talk about the wonderful things that will happen on your upcoming trip, long before it commences. This way, you can also discuss all their fears and apprehensions about some details along the way. Another great way to prepare them is to transform their current bedroom and sleeping style into a camper or trailer setting, so that they can experience a gradual transition and really welcome and appreciate the actual travel setup when it finally occurs.
Maintain Their Routine
Kids will be more in tune with travelling if they follow a consistent routine. Even while on the road, it is still beneficial for kids to keep their routine from home. For example, bedtime at 8:30 pm should still be followed. An advantage in travelling where kids truly enjoy the destinations is that it becomes really easy for them to voluntarily rest on time at night because they would have been tired from the whole day of fun travelling.
Pop-Up Tentand Other Portable Outdoor Kids’ Furniture for Continued Travel Enjoyment
There will be times during the travel when your kids will be idle. Why not bring a portable kids’ furniture like a pop-up tent? This will allow you to continue the fun even when the tour is temporarily put on hold. While they wait in the hotel room or in the trailer, the kids can play camping using the handy tent. There are other great alternatives to this such as bringing materials for makeshift cubby houses, or a play pen. You and your kids can build together these excellent portable outdoor furniture pieces and take your interaction and closeness to an even higher level.
Tips for Long Trips
If you are planning for a long trip with the kids somewhere in Australia, you better map out the entire destination to include stops, toilet breaks, and meal spots. Decide early on which places you will stop to eat your meals and make sure to arrive there before the rush hour. This is a good way to get better service from the restaurant or other similar establishments because you can avoid the long queue and other inconveniences brought about by jam-packed patrons taking their meals simultaneously.
Having lots of stops during the long travel is helpful for the kids to fully explore the places. So try to take breaks mostly at child-friendly locations like a park or a playground. During toilet breaks, go with your children so you can keep an eye on them all the time and ensure that they wash their hands thoroughly after using the toilet. You can also bring a sanitizer, which is an excellent alternative to soap and water if they become unavailable.
Other Necessities to Bring
Besides a hand sanitizer, here is a list of other important things that may come in handy during long trips:
- Healthy foods to snack on, such as fruits or veggies
- Plenty of water to drink
- Wet wipes or paper towels which are useful in many situations
- Easily accessible change of clothes for every child, such as extra shirt, pants, sweater, hats, etc., depending on the weather or season
- Extra container for possible vomiting or as alternative potty for your child who is not still toilet trained
- Extra plastic bags that you can easily access for putting dirty clothes or dirty nappies
What to Do to Avoid Travel Sickness in Kids
For parents with children prone to travel sickness, here are some tips on how to deal with it.
- Let your kids eat something but tell them to avoid fatty foods, few moments before travelling. Travel sickness can be brought about by fatty foods but it also gets worsened by an empty stomach.
- While inside the vehicle, encourage your kids to avoid looking at moving things outside because it promotes dizziness which can lead to travel sickness.
- Always remember to let in a breeze of fresh air in the vehicle. If you can, open a window or two inside the car.
- Don’t let your kids read while inside a moving car, train, or bus.
- While inside the car, talk to your kids about anything so they can be distracted from the thought of having travel sickness.
- If your kid becomes pale, quiet, and consistently complains about feeling sick, let the vehicle stop and allow him or her to walk outside to get a breath of fresh air.
- Check with doctors on what medicines are safe to bring which will help alleviate travel sickness in small children or babies.
More Kid-Friendly Travel Ideas
So remember, you don’t really need to buy expensive kids’ stuff and other baby’s toys that you can bring if you plan to travel around Australia with your kids. Portable outdoor kids’ furniture like Nanny-Annie’s pop-up play tent is an incredible way to intensify closeness among the family members. Unlike techie gadgets, these toys and furniture may be old school but they promote physical interaction, immersive playing experience, and thorough enjoyment to the whole family.
Stop by Nanny-Annie’s online store to get more splendid ideas on children’s toys that you can bring while travelling. Nanny-Annie is Australia’s leading provider of play pen, cubby houses, and other toys and furniture for babies and children. All of them are guaranteed to be of high quality and the best part is they are available through a safe and secure online shopping from the comfort of your home.Read More →